mardi 4 novembre 2014

Adrian Peterson hopeful child-abuse case behind him after plea deal


Adrian Peterson and his lawyer Rusty Hardin emerged from a Texas courtroom after reaching a plea agreement with some basic messages: Peterson regrets what happened in a child-abuse case, Peterson's true feelings and personality are misunderstood now, and Peterson wants to move on from the case.


Whether the Minnesota Vikings, the NFL, and NFL fans agree with those sentiments will be seen.


Peterson plead no contest in the case. He was sentenced to probation, 80 hours of community service and a $4,000 fine as part of the plea agreement. He injured his 4-year-old son by using a wooden switch to discipline him. He has not played for the Vikings since Week 1 of the season.


Hardin spoke first, then Peterson. Both men made a statement and took no questions. Here is Peterson's statement in full:


"I want to say I truly regret this incident," Peterson said. "I stand here and I take full responsibility for my actions. I love my son more than any one of you could even imagine. I’m looking forward to, and I’m anxious to continue my relationship with my child. I’m just glad this is over. I can put this behind me and me and my family can begin to move forward. Thanks."


Hardin also defended Peterson as a man and a father, and also expressed that Peterson wants to play in the NFL again.


"Adrian wants to get on with his life and have his relationship with his son and get back to playing football," Hardin said. "This is the same man he was before all of this happened. He’s not only a very good man, he’s a very good father and he wants to move on to prove that and live his life."


Both Peterson and Hardin appeared pleased with the legal outcome of the case on Tuesday.


"I think this is a very fair and just resolution of this thing," Hardin said. "This is a very complicated issue socially but it was very simple from our standpoint. The facts have never been in controversy. Adrian has always said he very much regretted and hated what happened as far as the injury. He has always accepted responsibility for it. And today was a step forward in that situation."


- - - - - - -


Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at shutdowncorner@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!






from Yahoo Sports http://ift.tt/10jkHLi

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire