mercredi 5 novembre 2014

Steve Spurrier says he'd find a job for Marcus Lattimore at South Carolina if he wants it

Former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore announced his retirement from football on Wednesday. In his announcement, Lattimore said he was going back to South Carolina to get his degree.


If he wants to work for South Carolina in the future, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said there's a spot for him.


"If he wants to come back and work for the University of South Carolina, certainly the president, athletic director or myself, whatever we can find job-wise for him here, we would certainly do that," Spurrier said. "I'm sure between the three of us, we'll find something for him to help out here with the athletic program, not only football but all athletes."


Lattimore's college career ended in 2012 when he suffered a devastating knee injury against Tennessee. The year before, against Mississippi State, he also suffered a knee injury.


When healthy, Lattimore was one of the best running backs in college football. As a freshman in 2010, he had 1,197 yards and 17 touchdowns. In 306 carries over the next two seasons, Lattimore had 1,480 yards and 21 touchdowns.


After deciding to enter the draft following the 2012 season, Lattimore was a fourth round pick of the San Francisco 49ers. He spent the entire 2013 season and part of the 2014 season rehabbing his knee, but said he made the decision to retire because he was unable to fully strengthen his knee to pre-injury levels.


Lattimore's injuries were used as an example for many against the NFL's mandate that players be three years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft. Because of what happened in his sophomore and junior seasons, his draft stock would have been at its highest after his freshman season.


In announcing his retirement, Lattimore also thanked South Carolina's fans.


“Though I am proud of what I have accomplished throughout my football career, I am sincerely disappointed that it must end, but I trust that God has a great plan for my future," Lattimore said. "As for what’s next, I will be returning to the University of South Carolina to complete my degree. I cannot say enough about the support from the Gamecock family since the first day I stepped on campus until now. I am so proud to be a part of the USC family, and I promise to always represent the garnet and black with honor and integrity. I will also continue to work with my foundation, the Marcus Lattimore Foundation / DREAMS, to provide opportunities and platforms to benefit youth sports programs in the state of South Carolina. I am looking forward to pursuing my personal interests and helping others achieve their goals and dreams."


- - - - - - -


Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!







from Yahoo Sports http://ift.tt/10ooCGt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire