samedi 31 janvier 2015

Le'Veon Bell said he has no hard feelings about LeGarrette Blount


PHOENIX It's easy to compare where running backs LeGarrette Blount and Le'Veon Bell are this week.


Blount is busy preparing for a Super Bowl. He started the season with Bell and the Pittsburgh Steelers, got cut after a tantrum when he walked off the field early due to a lack of playing time, and landed on the New England Patriots. He'll be a key figure in the Patriots' Super Bowl plans.


Bell is hawking hats late in the week. He was in the New Era lounge this week, wearing a Steelers hat with his suit, and probably wishing he was practicing for Sunday's game instead. And he and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers were awarded the FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Year at the NFL Honors show on Saturday night, which was nice, but he'd probably trade places with Blount, who was finishing up his Super Bowl preparation.


But Bell insisted, "no hard feelings at all" when it came to Blount.


"I’m happy for him. I’m so happy for him," Bell said. "People might think of LeGarrette as a bad person, but he’s not a bad person. He’s a great person. When he was with the Steelers, he made a mistake walking off the field. It was just a mistake. He’s not a bad person.


"A lot of people said he did it on purpose trying to get back on the Patriots … no. I feel like he’s a great person, he’s a great player and I’m glad he’s getting an opportunity to play in the Super Bowl."


It makes Bell a little more anxious to get to a Super Bowl himself. Bell established himself as one of the NFL's best running backs this season, his second as a professional. He had 2,215 yards from scrimmage and was named to the All-Pro team. Then he suffered a knee injury in Week 17 and missed Pittsburgh's playoff loss to Baltimore, and that eats at him a bit.


"I want to get (to a Super Bowl) ASAP," Bell said. "I’ve got some time, but I think next year we have a great chance. I think if I don’t get injured and we win that Baltimore game, I think we’re making that run to the Super Bowl. I’m really confident in our team."


The injury was pretty serious. Although the Steelers publicly held out hope he could play against the Ravens, that wasn't realistic. Bell started running again this week. He said he could have played in the Super Bowl if the Steelers advanced, but probably not the AFC championship game two weeks ago. It was a bad injury but nothing that will affect his preparation for next season.


A lot will be expected out of Bell in year three. He has transformed his body since his final season at Michigan State. He was 245 pounds in college, then dropped 10 pounds to prepare for the combine.


"When I was running for the combine I was like, ‘I feel great,’" Bell said. "I thought, going into the next offseason, I wonder if I lose 10 more pounds how will I feel?"


Bell dropped another 10 pounds before the 2014 season, playing at 225 pounds, and he looked light on his feet without losing any power. He said he plans on playing between 220 and 225 pounds the rest of his career.


Bell has also become one of the very rare backs who never come off the field (he played almost every down for the Steelers after Blount was released). In an era of tailback committees, he loves being on the field every play.


"I didn’t feel worn down" Bell said. "You never know what play can change the game, I always want to be on the field, and I can be a guy that can change a game with one play."


Bell said he has learned to not take unnecessary punishment by getting down when he can and avoiding big hits. There is always talk about a running back's career longevity, but Bell said he plans to come back next season and be on the field almost every down again for the Steelers.


"Definitely," Bell said. "I enjoy it."


- - - - - - -


Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at shutdowncorner@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!






from Yahoo Sports http://ift.tt/1yVoZ59

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire